Monday, March 20, 2017

Embracing The Superpowers Within You

Embracing The Superpowers Within You

Often times in life, we have our insecurities, things that lower our self-esteems and drop our confidence. Whether it’s something we don’t like about our body or something we don’t like about our personality, these negative factors affect our lives and sometimes even the lives of others if people choose to point out what we see as other’s flaws instead of focusing on our own. While we may have our insecurities, however, we also have our superpowers.

To most people, when they hear the word “superpower”, they think of things you would read about in a comic book like Super Girl’s ability to fly, The Hulk’s super strength, Spider Man’s web shooters or The Flash’s super speed. To me, the word superpower means two different things. The first thing it means to me is being able to take your positive qualities and showcasing them as your strengths and beauties.  For example, think of a positive attribute you have, such as kindness or a good sense of humor. How can you take those positive attributes and show them to the world as your superpowers?

First, you can find a way to take those positive attributes you have and use them for a good cause. If kindness is your superpower, bestow your kindness on others by investing in a cause that’s important to you such as volunteering at a soup kitchen, homeless shelter or animal shelter. If your superpower is a good sense of humor, volunteer to entertain senior citizens at a nursing home or children at a children’s hospital. Using your superpowers to put smiles on other’s faces and laughter in their hearts will make you feel good about yourself, which will help to boost your confidence and self-esteem. 

Secondly, the word “superpower” also means to me, the ability to take what you see as imperfections or insecurities and embrace them by turning them into something positive. For example, let’s say someone’s insecurity is their shyness. How can they overcome that and turn it into something that makes them confident? One way they can do that is to find an artistic hobby they may enjoy such as acting or singing. They can join a church choir or audition for a community play. By doing this, they can find ways to overcome their shyness and bring out their inner confidence.

For me, the character I portray in wrestling is more outspoken, bold, daring, empowered and confident in who she is but those who know my actual persona outside of my character could say I am a bit more quiet, reserved, shy and a bit of an overthinker, sometimes to a fault. It took a long time for me to overcome my own insecurities with what I would wear and how I would act to develop this character into a strong, fearless woman, something I still continue to work on daily to improve my character more and more. I had to take risks with what I didn’t feel comfortable with at first, due to my shyness, tendency to overthink things and my reservations. Once I knew I could take those risks and handle whatever came from them, it was only then that I could grow my character into a woman of confidence. While I am still working on constantly bettering my character, I realized shyness can be my superpower by turning it into something that radiates confidence and inner strength.

Therefore, I implore you whatever insecurities you may be dealing with, turn them into your superpowers. Find a way to make them a positive thing in your life. Whatever positive traits you have, make those your superpowers also by sharing them with the world. Find your superpowers, accept and embrace them as a part of you and express them to the world in a beautiful, inspiring and empowering way.


No comments:

Post a Comment